Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday Night Supper!!



Well, one of the biggest things for making a meal plan work in this house is...FLEXIBILITY!!! So, although tonight I was planning on making spaghetti, I scrapped that idea. Spaghetti will work well when we have some friends over tomorrow night. So tonight I dug through my cabinets and have created "Fiesta Rice and Beans" I am sure no one will eat it but, man, does it smell good.

I am not good at recipes...as in I don't follow them and I measure nothing for the most part. So I am putting approximate measurements to share the recipe. The only measurement that is kinda important is that of your rice and liquid. I used brown rice so the ratio is 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid. Beyond that you can make this as mild or as spicy as you'd like.

Here ya go:

Fiesta Rice n Beans

1 large onion, diced
1 T olive oil
1 cup rice, not instant
2 cups chicken stock (or veg stock if you don't eat meat)
1 tsp garlic powder
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 or 1 1/2 cups salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups or 1 can corn

Heat olive oil in a large skillet (with tight fitting lid). Saute onion in oil until soft. Add rice and red pepper flakes and brown for about 2 minutes. Add other spices. Pour in broth and cover with lid. Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes (or however long the package says to get your rice cooked). 15 minutes before rice should be done, pour in salsa. stir and cover again. About 5 minutes before it is all done, add corn and beans. Simmer till rice is soft and everything is heated through.

Serve and eat hot. It would probably be good with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top or some sour cream. We have neither of these right now. :)

I also prefer to add salt at the table. The canned beans add some salt and if you use canned corn it does as well. Since I do not like to add much to my food but my husband salts everything...I just let him do it on his own plate.

Here is the finished product on my plate. It was good. The kids wanted some cheese. They ate it ok. I will make it again.

PS- For mine tonight I had to add a little liquid at the end to get my rice at a nice soft, chewy spot. I just dumped in a little water. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment