Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Carcass Soup!

Disclaimer: no carcasses are used in the making of this soup!

I save all my little bits of leftover veggies that aren't enough to eat as leftovers or for dh to pack in his lunch. I put them in a quart yogurt container in the fridge. When it is full, it is time for carcass soup. I usually go ahead and start with some onion, garlic and maybe carrots and saute them in some olive oil or butter. Then I dump in the frozen veggies, and some chicken stock (which I guess I do technically make with a carcass). Maybe a can of tomatoes and some beans go in. Or lentils or barley or both. Maybe a few noodles at the very end or that fresh spinach that just isn't quite fresh enough for salad anymore. If we have some leftover chicken or turkey, or ground meat (without a BUNCH of seasoning-like no taco meat). And then I just let it simmer. All the flavors blend together and come out great usually. Sometimes it needs salt or another seasoning but you just gotta taste and see. It is a GREAT way to use up leftovers!

2 comments: