Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Monthly menu

I am tired of making a monthly menu each month. I spend a lot of time putting it all on a calendar and getting it all figured out...then I don't stick to it and instead just pull meals from the calendar "willy nilly" and make usable weekly calendars. This is stupid and a waste of time. So I am trying a new method. Last week I made a cute and usable weekly meal plan. My kitchen is decorated as a diner so I made a "Daily Specials" menu page and put breakfast lunch and dinner on it. It hangs on my fridge and is cute and I'm using it. Breakfast has been the hardest to stick to what is on the daily special...but beyond that it is working quite well.

So I ask myself WHY do I need to put a monthly menu on a calendar? What purpose does it serve? At this point my answer is none. So I am doing it differently...I am making a list of the meals we eat each month. Then I will pull from that list and put them in my weekly plans. I am going to "laminate" the list in some way so I can check the meals off with a dry erase so that I know what I've made each month and can try to keep some variety in our family meals. Now since my kitchen is a diner and I like things to be cute, I think I am going to make it like a restaurant menu...then I can stick it up in my kitchen where it is easily in sight so I will USE it! Of course, that is simply because I like to do things that way. It would be easier and faster to use a pencil and paper and make a list of things we all like to eat...but why do it that way? HA!

We'll see how this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment